This information is for prospective PhD candidates.
Step 1: Check your eligibility
To be eligible to pursue a higher degree by research at ANU, you must:
- have an Australian university honours degree (at the level honours 2A or above); OR
- have equivalent prior studies in Australia or elsewhere (for example a bachelor’s degree plus a graduate diploma or a master’s degree) that includes some research work; OR
- have a bachelor's degree and professional qualifications, work experience and/or published research that may be deemed equivalent to the Honours degree; AND
- have met the English language requirements (if you are an international student).
Step 2: Explore your options
Please look through the APCD website to see what type of projects are currently being pursued by students and supervisors.
At the ANU, higher degree research students have a primary supervisor and a panel of co-supervisors and/or advisors. APCD supervisory panels are typically made up of experienced professors, mid- and early-career researchers working in the field of interest to the student and one or more colleagues from disciplinary areas that relate to the student’s topic.
*Note: Please do not contact potential supervisors at this stage of the process.
Step 3: Express your interest
To express your interest in pursuing a research degree at APCD, please email electronic copies of the following documents to the Senior Program Administrator, Craig Hanks:
- Expression of interest
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Academic transcripts
- IELTS/TOEFL results (if applicable)
- Thesis proposal (5-10 pages)
Step 4: Meet potential supervisors
The Graduate Program Coordinator will inform you within two weeks of receiving your expression of interest whether there is a supervisor interested in your application. If there is, you will be asked to attend an interview (this can be done over phone/Skype if you are not based in Canberra).
Step 5: Make a formal application to the ANU
Once a supervisor has interviewed you and signed off on your proposal, the Senior Program Administrator will assist you with the ANU online application process.